15 October 2014

Baby Theo's Birth Story - Part One!

The last time I posted was Tuesday, October 7th. We had lots of doctor appointments that day and we were waiting on our baby boy's arrival! I went to sleep around 10pm and before I went to bed, I gave Parker a kiss and told him this could be the last night we go to sleep without our son! I had been saying that every night since his due date.

At 12:30am I woke up in a lot of pain. I had been having some painful Braxton Hicks contractions for the past couple weeks (especially when I had a full bladder) so I went upstairs to use the restroom and hopefully relieve some pain. It didn't work, but the pain subsided about a minute later so I didn't think much of it and went back to bed. I hadn't fallen asleep yet, when I had another painful contraction at 12:45. This was the first time I had had consecutive contractions! I went out into the living room and told Parker that I had two in a row and we should wait and see if there would be more! I also let him know that they could easily go away and maybe I would go into labor some day soon.

Eight minutes later, I had a really painful contraction in my lower back that lasted for about a minute. Three in a row! Parker and I were getting excited. We had known from all our research that early labor for a first time mom can last from 6-12 hours so we started chatting about what we could do in the middle of the night to get through my early labor. I had wanted to rest in bed, but seeing as I was having the contractions in my back, lying down made the pain worse. So we walked around our living room and anxiously talked about getting the last items in our hospital bag. However, our talking didn't last long because only 5 minutes later, I had a stronger, longer contraction.

We thought it was a little odd that my contractions were getting closer and closer already, so we used an app on my phone to time the contractions. After those first 3 contractions, I began having contractions every 3-5 minutes and each one lasted 45 seconds to a minute. They were also getting increasingly painful. We didn't think I could be in active labor already, so we thought we would wait longer before calling the doctor. My main fear was getting to the hospital and having them send me home if I wasn't far enough along.

Knowing this could be it, we both took a shower and finished packing the bags. When Parker was in the shower, I was having trouble breathing through the contractions on my own and noticed they were STILL getting closer and more painful. All I could think was that it was happening too fast! When Parker saw the pain I was in and how quickly they were coming, he called the doctor. She told us it sounded like I was definitely in active labor and I could wait out the next hour at home and try to get through labor in the comfort of my own home, but if they get any closer to come by the hospital.

At that point, it was 3am and the contractions were staying about 3-4 minutes apart and with the help of Parker massaging my lower back, I was able to get through them. I wanted to stay home as long as possible, so Parker and I looked through our distraction/pain management list we had made in preparation. 

BROWNIES! Yes... I thought we could make some brownies for the nurses and that would take about half an hour to help pass time. So we started to make brownies. Parks and I were both a bit nervous about everything that was happening which resulted in us using the wrong brownie pan, Parker adding too much oil, and us not greasing the pan before we put the brownies in the oven. Ha! During that disaster of an idea, my contractions got increasingly more painful and back massages weren't helping anymore. Instead, I resorted to light moaning, but let me tell you, back labor SUCKS. With only 10 minutes left of baking, Parker and I knew we couldn't wait any longer. We had to head to the hospital. 

So Parks packed the car up, we said goodbye to my mom and at 4am I reluctantly hopped in the car for the 15 minute ride to the hospital. I did not want to sit in the car. The pain was right in my back and sitting/lying was the worst way for me to deal with the pain. Alas, I hopped in and we were at the hospital by 4:20. I don't remember much from the ride, but Parker tells me right before a contraction would come, I would say "No, no, no, no not another one... noooooooo!" and then breathe/moan/scream through it.

When we got to the hospital, I was having contractions 2-3 minutes apart and I thought for sure I was having our baby any minute, but when they checked me I was only 2.5-3cm!!! I was so upset, but they assured me I wasn't going anywhere and was in active labor. At that point, I immediately asked the nurse for an epidural. Parker and I had talked about what we wanted and we didn't feel strongly either way about using an epidural vs. an all natural birth, so we thought we would see how it goes when the time came. Well... the time came, I felt what I needed to feel and an epidural was exactly what we both wanted for me. It took another 45 minutes before all was said and done and Parker was such a trooper helping me through the contractions. I basically sounded like a loud donkey and I had to stare into his eyes while breathing "WHOOOOO-HEEEEEEE, WHOOOOO-HEEEEEE." He tried very hard not to laugh, but I would catch him smirking every once in awhile! Immediately after the epidural, I threw up everywhere (fun side effect) and then, I was one happy, happy pregnant lady:
About 10 minutes after my epidural. Pure Bliss.

I will write Part 2 later this week, but surprise! Here is how it ended:

Parker and I are beyond thrilled to introduce our son, Theodore "Theo" Lloyd Jones:

He was born at 2:12pm on October 8th. He weighed in at 7lbs 5oz and was 19inches long.
He is perfection and today he is already a week old... and I already cried about it. OY!

Eating! Boy eats just about every hour and I am breastfeeding... so this momma is tired!
Being held
Sleeping in his Snugga-Puppy bouncer seat
Driving in the car
When momma and daddy sing "you are my sunshine"
Listening to momma and daddy talk to each other

Sleeping in his bassinet
Changing his diaper
Going to the doctor
Getting his newborn photos taken


  1. I thought I would hope over to your personal blog to read about your journey you had recently! What craziness! :) I'm glad you didn't have to go back home. My husband and I have been actively trying to start a family for just 3 months now (feels like forever already! ha) and it was interesting and informative to read your side of it. :) Thanks for sharing!


  2. Theo melts my heart! Such a handsome fella. I love that you made brownies to pass time between contractions. You are my hero!

  3. Congratulations on the safe arrival of your son Theodore! Welcome to the fun, exciting and challenging world of parenting.

    Love the name btw. I have my own little Theodore, born 6 months ago. His nickname though is Teddy. I call him my little Teddy Bear (for as long as I'm allowed too!).

  4. Congratulations to you and Parker! Theo is so handsome!!

  5. CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS! Is there anything more special than a new born baby? That little guy is just perfect... He's making me want my own :) Enjoy every minute.