22 October 2014

Baby Theo's Birth Story - Part 2!

First, let me just say... my son hates pictures:
well... I still think he's adorable.

Alrighty, where were we?!

Last I remember, I had just gotten my epidural and was in sweet, sweet heaven.

Once the epidural had kicked in, it was time for Parker and I to get some much needed rest. He passed out pretty quickly on the chair next to me and I fell right asleep. Unfortunately, about an hour and a half later I woke up to a doctor, a midwife, 2 nurses and a nursing student all in my room staring at my monitor. Apparently, little Theo's heart rate had dropped quite a bit after a big contraction and they were trying a few different maneuvers to get it back up. Thankfully, after a few nudges and rolls by momma his heart rate went back up to normal.

The medical team was still a little concerned so they put an internal monitor on Theo to keep an eye on the little bugger. Then, I went back to sleep.

Sure enough about an hour later, Theo's heart rate dropped again and everyone was back in my room watching, prodding, poking, and waiting to see if it would rise again... and at the last minute before they would have scheduled me a C-Section, it would rise and stay. This happened over and over from 6:30am up until I delivered Theo at 2:12pm. Even through my pushing, I would have to breathe a few contractions away and not push in order to give Theo time to get his heart rate up again. Poor boy was stressed!

Meanwhile, my mom and sister got to the hospital around 5am and were prepared to wait it out until baby Theo was born. My OB even tried to tell my mom to go home and sleep for a bit, but she was NOT having it. In fact, this is how she passed the time while Parks and I were resting:
running around the tables in the waiting room.

Parker and I were in a bit of disbelief as we went in and out of naps. We would wake up, look at each other, and laugh as we told one another, "dude we're gonna have a baby today."

Around noon, Parker and I were up for good and I had progressed to 8.5 centimeters. I was waiting to feel the "pressure" and "urge to push" that everyone kept telling me about. My sister had gone out to get Parker coffee and a bagel and when they came back we chatted for a bit until I got a contraction in which I felt a lotttttttt of pressure. I had them leave the room and I called the nurse. I was still only at 8-9cm and my contractions were 8-10 minutes apart. Although I was feeling the urge to push, I was told I had to wait until they got closer together and were a bit stronger. About an hour later, my team suggested a small dose of pitocin to see if we could get the contractions to get closer together and it worked pretty much instantaneously. The very next contraction was stronger and they started coming every couple minutes. Parker and I went through a few contractions on our own before we called the nurse. This time, when we called them, the midwife came with gloves on!

We knew it was SHOWTIME!

I thought that the pushing couldn't be worse than the contractions, but for me... it was! I hated the pushing. Everyone told me that I would feel pressure and it would feel like... ya know... you had to go to the bathroom.... but it was PAINFUL! I pushed and pushed and pushed for about 40 minutes. I pushed on my back while holding my legs, then I moved to all fours and pushed like that, then went back to my back. The worst for me was when I had to breathe through a few contractions to help Theo's heart rate come back up. It was really difficult to fight the urge to push.

I was in a daze during these 40 minutes. I saw nurses and doctors come in and out. I knew Parker was next to me, but I wasn't looking at anyone or interacting with anyone. I just wanted to PUSH HIM OUT. I  remember very distinctly during the "crowning" looking at the nurses and saying "this really f*cking hurts!!!!* With about 10 minutes left of pushing, I heard the nurse ask Parker how he was doing and his voice cracked as he told her he was getting emotional. I can also remember the doctor coming in at 2pm and saying that I would have this baby before 2:15. I could see the light!

I didn't even know I had pushed his head out until the midwife was showing Parker and I could see tears in his eyes. With two more big pushes, I felt the biggest rush and relief as my son came out. Tears were streaming down my face and Parker was staring at our son all teary-eyed as Theo was placed on my chest. It was the most amazing and surreal moment in my life. We had a son! I had just birthed a real-life human. WHAT!?

I laid in bed for about 2 hours as Theo nursed (like a champ - I might add) and as he got measured, weighed, and vaccinated. While he was going through his tests, I could hear my mom, my aunt, my dad and my sister waiting anxiously in the hallway. My gramma and papa came right away too. About one hour after our sweet baby boy was born, it was time to meet the family!
 Anxiously waiting!

 Grammy and Great Aunt, Ann! - SUPER emotional ;)

 Meeting Grammy for the first time

 Hi, aunt T-T!


 Sweet boy with Grampa and Aunt Tina

 Ann holding Theo! Ann is going to be a grammy herself in less than a month! YAY!

 Big Theodore and little Theodore. Papa was so proud to meet Theo and we are so proud to have named him after such an amazing man!

 Gramma and Theo!

Grammy, Momma, and baby!

After that, it was two nights in the hospital and we brought Theo home, sweet, home! Parker and I had such an amazing experience at our hospital and loved the nurses, doctors, and midwives that took care of us. We really felt like we were in great hands and trusted all their advice and opinions. We were also lucky enough to have a long-time family friend as our nurse throughout my labor and delivery. She took care of us big time and we are SO thankful to her. She made Theo's birth extra special :)

Oh, by the way... all the pushing I did?! I broke all the blood vessels in my face and upper arms! My whole face was covered in bright red/purple spots. I tried to take a picture, but this does NOT do it any justice:
My dad said it looked like I had gotten seriously beaten up and Parker said it looked like my face was covered in purple freckles. He swears he thought I looked really cute like that. Oy!

Fast forward to 2 weeks:
Baby boy gained 13.5oz in 5 days!!! He eats all dang day, but then sleeps for two long stretches (4-5 hours each stretch) at night. We hear we are very lucky for this and we actually feel well rested when we wake up.

Sleeping in the rock & play (THANK YOU, LAURA!)
Meeting family and getting snuggles from them
Sleeping in bed with momma
Lifting and bobbing his head all around
Going for walks

Pictures (obviously)
Changing clothes
Sitting still
Diaper changes

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! He is adorable and it sounds like y'all are adjusting to parenthood just fine! I look forward to following along in this journey we call life! :) Lana